Top strategies for social media storytelling you can use
Social media storytelling is a marketing tool that is based on the following principles:
- Telling stories that revolve around the brand and its typical target customers
- Evoking emotions in the customers
- Portraying the brand as more than just a brand
- Giving the brand a personality and voice
- Inspiring people to become a customer
- Giving your brand a purpose and sharing its vision
Social media is powerful because it makes a brand stand out from the rest and gives it a deeper meaning. It helps you show what your brand is really about and what’s the story behind your products, service, and relationship with your customers.
So, the power of social media storytelling is in the following:
- It evokes emotions
- It gives the brand a voice
- It makes the brand more real and relatable
Now, let’s take a look at what are the best strategies for using social media storytelling wisely and successfully.
Reflect Your Audience
The first step in setting up a successful storytelling campaign is knowing and engaging your audience. And, it means more than focusing on their age, sex, or location. To really know your audience, you have to make sure you understand their:
- Problems and pain points
- Real-life issues and dynamics
If you know this, you’ll be able to tell stories that reflect their lives and that they can relate to. For instance, Dove is a brand known for great storytelling. Here’s what makes it great:
- They portray “real” people
- They address relatable problems
- They give their customers a voice
This way, their target audience is the main character of their stories, which makes them more impactful.
According to Forbes, a story needs to “share your truth, speak to your life hurdles, and create relatability and rapport between you and your audience.” A story needs to make an impact on the person reading it. It doesn’t have to be anything dramatic like life-changing emotional roller-coasters, but it needs to mean something.
So, decide on the type of emotion you want to evoke. Do you want to make them feel melancholic, excited, motivated, empowered? It should agree with your brand personality.
The next big thing you want to do with your social media storytelling is to inspire people. Giving people hope, motivation, and strength to make a change or dare to do something is huge. So, try making your stories inspiring. Here’s how:
- Put a relatable person in the middle of the story
- Write about their courage, strength, success
- Invite others to be the same and follow their footsteps
- Make your brand the other focal point of the story
Still, make sure all your social media stories are proofread and written in a style your target audience will easily comprehend. Find the best proofreading services to check your stories before you publish them.
Social media storytelling can be used to cross-promote your other marketing platforms and content. It can help you show your social media audience a whole new side of you and inspire them to get more involved with your brand. You can use social media storytelling to cross-promote a:
- Different social media platform account
Raise Social Awareness
People care about their communities, environment, mental health, and so many other similar topics. Brands can use this attachment to get closer to their audience and build stronger bonds. That means that brands should create stories that raise social awareness. They should take a stand and invite their followers and customers to join them. Several goals can be achieved by this:
- Showing they’re socially conscious
- Showing their empathy and engagement in the global community
- Making people look at them as more than just another feminine product brand
- Inspiring people to become their customers
Important social issues make great stories to tell on Instagram. Use them to boost your storytelling efforts.
Social media storytelling is not a one-trick pony, but a complex marketing tool that allows you to be creative and set your goals higher and higher. Using this marketing method is efficient for achieving numerous goals for your brand or business. Hopefully, the tips and explanations we shared above helped you realize the potential power of social media storytelling.