Social media management: the dos and don’ts
In recent years, social media has become an increasingly important tool for businesses of all sizes. While it can be a great way to connect with customers and promote your product or service, it’s important to remember that there are certain do’s and don’ts when it comes to social media management.
As social media becomes increasingly prevalent in our lives, it’s important to know how to properly manage it. Here are some do’s of social media management:
- Do be aware of what you’re posting. Remember that potential employers, future landlords, and others may be looking at your social media profiles, so it’s important to be mindful of what you’re sharing.
- Do take the time to create a strategy. Before you start posting willy-nilly, take some time to think about your goals for social media and develop a strategy for how you’ll achieve them.
- Do interact with others. Social media is all about engagement, so make sure you’re taking the time to comment on other people’s posts, share interesting content, and like/follow accounts that interest you.
- Do invest in a good camera and lighting. While it may not seem like your Instagram feed is likely to land you that dream job, first impressions matter. So make sure you’re taking the time to photograph and edit your photos to ensure they look their best before posting them on social media.
- Do use hashtags strategically. Hashtags are a great way to connect with people who have similar interests, so use them! Just make sure you’re not using too many or using irrelevant ones; it’s important that you’re still able to be found when you search for your own name.
- Do use location tags. If you’re in a specific city or area, tagging your photos with the name of that place allows users to find out more about what’s around them.
- Do use alternative apps.
- Plan and schedule your content in advance. This will save you time and help ensure that your posts are timely and relevant to current events.
The Don’ts Of Social Media Management
As social media use continues to grow among businesses as a way to connect with customers, it’s important to be aware of some common mistakes that can turn off your audience. Here are three things to avoid if you want to make the most of social media for your business:
- Don’t spam your followers with too many sales pitches. If you’re constantly trying to sell them something, they’ll tune you out pretty quickly. Instead, focus on providing valuable content that will interest and engage them.
- Don’t be too self-promotional. Yes, you want people to know about your business, but constantly talking about yourself is a surefire way to turn people off. Share interesting and helpful content from other sources as well, and mix in some personal posts so people get to know the person behind the brand.
- Don’t neglect customer service. If people are interacting with your brand on social media, they expect a response. Make sure you’re monitoring your pages and responding to comments and questions in a timely manner.
- Don’t keep it all business. Social media is meant to be fun! Share some of your personality and interests with your followers.
- Don’t forget about search engines. If you want to get found online, you need to optimize your social media pages for SEO. In addition to posting relevant, engaging content, you can also add appropriate tags and descriptions.
- Don’t just post your own content. Share other people’s stuff too! Social media is a great way to discover and share things that are relevant to your industry or business niche.
- Don’t forget to use social media for customer service. If customers want to talk business, it’s OK to chat with them on social media! But don’t let the line between personal and business get blurred — this is still a customer service channel.
- Don’t post drunk or high. Ideally, of course, you should never post drunk or high. But if you do, don’t use your business social media accounts to do it (unless you’re a comedian).
- Don’t over-promote your own stuff.
Maintaining a balance between the do’s and don’ts of the Social Media
Social media has become an integral part of many people’s lives. It can be a great way to stay connected with friends and family, but it’s important to maintain a balance between the do’s and don’ts of social media. Here are some tips:
- Do limit your time on social media. Too much time on social media can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- Do be thoughtful about what you share.
- What you post online is permanent and can have unintended consequences.
- Do be careful about what you post about others.
- Don’t share photos or videos of other people without their permission, unless it is for a good reason, like a missing person’s alert.
Social Media Management is important for businesses of all sizes. It allows businesses to connect with customers, create a brand identity, and build loyalty. Social media management also helps businesses to track and analyze customer behavior, which can help them to make better decisions about marketing and product development.